Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Humble Hearts

Humility: "The state or quality of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth; a sense of one's own unworthiness through imperfection and sinfulness; self-abasement; humbleness."

This is a difficult state of being. Even at our best, we often regard "successes" as being attributed to our hard work and "failures" as the outcome of bad luck or the result of the shortcomings of others. I often get an idea in my head and I'm right, darn it. No one is going to tell me otherwise- when people are finally able to reach the ultimate conclusion, they'll see just how right I am. HA.

This morning I was reminded of my daily struggle to acknowledge my utter incompetence in so many areas; not that I should dismiss them in favor of those areas in which I am more well-versed, but that I should humble my heart and my mind and seek to learn from those who know.

No comments: